From: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
on behalf of "Trinklein, Jason R" <trinkle...@cofc.edu>
Date: Monday, February 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM
To: "wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] Offline/Spare Gear Inventory Size

Hi All,

I’m curious to know the size of your spare gear inventories. Do you keep a
percentage of each model of AP in inventory, and what is your reasoning?
Storms? Last minute/emergency wireless coverage needs?

What percentage of your live gear do you keep as offline inventory? (100 live
APs with 1 inventory AP = 1% offline inventory).

With Xirrus, we had an offline inventory of more than 10% of live inventory. We
kept that inventory to cover the high failure rate of the equipment, the
incidence of hurricanes and lightning strikes in our area, the broad range of
AP models on campus, and last minute large events in low coverage areas.

We are evaluating the minimum offline inventory for our new Aruba gear as we
finish up the vendor switch. I have been thinking 1-2%, but I want to see what
you guys do first, and why.

Thank you,
--
Jason Trinklein
Wireless Engineering Manager

DID YOU KNOW? The Princeton Review selected the College of Charleston as one of
50 schools focused on providing students with practical experiences that take
their academics to the next level.
http://www.educause.edu/discuss.