Fascinating.  While we are (we are engineers after all) beating the horse
senseless, this is interesting to see how others arrive at their decisions.

I have always worked for schools where the budget is X.  Spend it on spares or
get gear out the students, it is on us to make that decision.  I have always
erred on the side of less spares more for the students….

However, don’t forget the basics –environmental variables.

Before I moved to Florida, I would have maybe 2-3 switches (we had 200 switches
in use) and ~5 AP’s for the 1200 in use fail.  I never ran out of spares and
had an exposure…

Until I moved to Florida.

Now, a good storm can blow up 2-3 switches in a day and 6-10 ap’s.  Worst storm
to date was 2 chassis blades, 12 switches and 32 AP’s.

So all things being equal never discount the environment you live in and your
mileage may vary, you know your environment better than anyone (or will know it
after a year ;)   )

Also don’t forget the product, when I was a Cisco wifi shop (in Florida) during
the Wave 2 refresh (which people are still talking about) I had a huge failure
rate.  Since I went to Aruba I am down to (lightening hits aside) about 1-2
failures a year out of 1500 aps.  Conversely, I do not lose Cisco switches at
all (lightening hits aside)

Ian.