On Nov 20, 2019, at 11:16, Joseph M. Karam
<jka...@princeton.edu<mailto:jka...@princeton.edu>> wrote:

We would like to define a rule in our wireless infrastructure that says
something like, “if the device failed authentication 20 times in 1 minute, do
not allow it to authenticate again for 10 minutes”.     Has anyone had good or
bad experiences with defining these types of policies?

This sounds like a variation of the “account lockout” question that pops up in
security discussions, and the wireless situation you describe always comes up
as one of the examples as to potentially bad consequences.

IMO, the conversation needs to evolve to not just whether we should be locking
out accounts but how can we do it in a smarter way?  ie, it’s one thing to lock
out an account where someone has been trying 100 different passwords in a time
period vs the same password over and over again.  Similarly, there are
geolocation tools available so you could see, for example, that should be able
to alert you if someone has been logging in successfully from a single
geographical area for the past week but all of a sudden has a number of
unsuccessful login attempts from a vastly different location.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>