With Cisco there is a feature called Client Exclusion which can be set to 60 to 300 seconds. If a client fails 802.1x auth three times they are put in the exclusion list. Setting the timer to a high value 300 means if the client fixes the login information correctly they still can not authenticate until the timer runs out and are removed from the exclusion list. This can cause some confusion for your helpdesk and walk in support who are helping students.

Kevin