From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Community Group Listserv
<WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of John Rodkey
<rod...@westmont.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:19:04 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU <WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU>
Subject: [WIRELESS-LAN] neighbors 'jamming' 2.4GHz spectrum

I put quotes around jamming, because it isn't technically.
We are seeing an SSID named 'ACCESS DENIED' on 2.4GHz channel 4, with a 40MHz
width and channel 8 extension.
The signal is not high enough to interfere with most clients, but for some of
our meshed access points, the signal level is fairly close to the signal
available from the mesh's host access point.

Is this a common thing?  Have others seen the same on their campus, and if so,
what are the policies and practices that you follow?

I know the signal is coming from off-campus, but I don't have assurance that it
is malicious intent or that it is intended to disrupt our campus network.

John Rodkey
Director of Servers and Networks
Westmont College