Taking a short break from pandemic planning efforts…

Large manufacturers have white papers and equipment out (e.g. Phillips, Cisco).
 Still a bit pricey when I looked a year or two ago, that will change.  Their
approach was to cable to nearby points with POE switches in the plenum (not
back to a data closet).  The switches were plenum rated (accepting 277v as is
often used for commercial lighting, requiring an electrician to direct wire to
the switches — no plug to get their rating).  Lots of implications for how
networks have traditionally be operated.

With 70 watts and higher at the end device with POE, you can drive lots of
devices that no longer need tradition high voltage services.  Inevitable (first
global power standard).  In new construction, that is a lot of conduit and
skilled electrician labor potentially saved.

Related, some may have noticed bills introduced by electrician unions in a
number of states which would require licensed electricians to install POE
cabling over safety concerns.  Didn’t make it out of committee in Texas.  I did
educate our legislative relations representatives on cost and delay impacts
such a change could have given the limited skilled electricians in our market.

William Green, Director of Networking and Telecommunications
The University of Texas at Austin | ITS | 512-475-9295 |
it.utexas.edu<https://www.utexas.edu> |
gr...@austin.utexas.edu<https://www.utexas.edu>