Hi Martin,

We've found them helpful at Penn State.  They are a nice compliment to more
sophisticated monitoring systems.   As Rob said, they do rather basic tests,
but I think they're appropriately priced for what they do.  They're also very
easy to deploy and understand.  I won't besmirch any specific competing
products, but if you've tried some of them you know there can be a long
learning curve.  That's definitely not the case with Aruba UXI.  Their testing
documentation is pretty good too.  I suspect most of us would benefit from
having some of these sensors, regardless of your wireless hardware
manufacturer.  I believe you can link them to Central, but there's no need to.
They work fine as a stand-alone product.

They periodically test a variety of underpinnings, like auth, dns, dhcp.  It
will also do iperf2 & 3, but you need to provide the server.  When it tests
services, you can see things like latency, loss,  jitter, response times and
throughput, and you can adjust the pass/fail thresholds.  I found the default
thresholds to be too tolerant of performance issues, but was able to adjust
them for what I expected from our network.  If a test fails it runs that test
on an increased frequency until the problem is resolved, and it automatically
does packet captures for the subsequent test so you can see exactly what's
failing.  If I had one wish list item it would be the ability to increase the
test frequency for one specific test.  The minimum interval is 20 minutes, and
if you have an intermittent problem affecting one of the services that interval
can make spotting it a hit and miss proposition.  Test results will be
representative in the long run, but we all aspire to identify and fix problems
in the near term rather than the long run.

The product seems meant to test the network to key services, not necessarily
the services themselves.  To your question about 0365, you can test to ensure a
response from Microsoft's login page on ports 80 and 443, but you can't
actually log in.  You'll know your users can get to the site with reasonable
response times, but you won't know if things like email, calendar, SharePoint,
etc. are responding and performing well.

Hope this helps.

Chuck