Major carriers utilize the location engine of the smartphone for cellular and
wifi calling when making 911 calls:

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.WiFiCalling.html
"911 calls using Wi-Fi Calling will first attempt to route to the appropriate
emergency response center using automatic location information from your
device. If such information is unavailable, the Emergency Address (No P.O.
Boxes) entered in your Wi-Fi Calling settings will be used for routing."

We've found Android/iOS locations reported via Wi-Fi discovery to be more
accurate than traditional trilateralizaton of cell towers, and often more
accurate than GPS-- at least in our urban campus with many reflections and
where people spend most time indoors.  With Android, we've found new APs are
discovered within a day or so (even when the AP is relocated, but is client
traffic dependent).

We had a vendor survey 10 buildings several years ago for cellular and wi-fi
signal strength.  The report found when Wi-Fi was included, nearly all floors
could place a 911 call (not so with cellular only).  Getting that word out has
proven difficult.