I'm purely speculating here, but my thought is that somehow there may
have
been a solar flare or storm sometime during the day and the resulting
interference reached us at the times you have all mentioned. The
interference could have been just weak enough that unless a particular unit
had enough gain and or antenna positioning to capture the signal it would
not bother particular units in the field while others experienced problems.
Scriv can probably attest to the sunspot activity and the problems from his
cable TV days on their satellite downlinks. The sun is a broadband
transmitter of noise, sometimes the signals are organized and powerful
enough to bother our terrestrial systems. While it is true that the greatest
and most common effects are in the VHF and shortwave ranges it is not the
only frequency range to experience problems.
        In thinking about the thermal "ducting" that can happen with signals, I
think with this problem it is unlikely since those situations are usually a
localized event at higher frequencies. An alternate explanation could be a
problem with firmware that might be aware of date and time which popped up
as a bug. I'm not that knowledgeable in Trango gear to know if the units are
time synchronized to anything for this to be a possibility.

Thank You,
Brian Webster