A good friend of mine (ham guy) tells me that during....shoot I cant remember....either WW2 or Vietnam that they used something to kill the leaves but it did not improve signal for their radio communications. So it was determined that it's the sap in the trees not the leaves that kill the signal the most. Anyone got a link to something a little more "scientific"? Oh ya, I do trust this guy. He knows his stuff....wrote this book http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=8624 but I just want a 2nd opinion.

Brian