In a way, we are all billing by the bit/byte. The "hard" limit is the amount of bandwidth that someone can transfer on the network if they run their connection full blast all of the time. The second limit is the cap on amount of bandwidth included in a plan - i.e. 10Gig/month of transfer. I have monthly bandwidth caps in my AUP, and it is there to justify the disconnection of service to someone who resells bandwidth to others and/or consistently over uses the connection. So I guess I am putting some pretty liberal limits on what my subscribers can do, but there are limits.

People want a simple plan that makes sense and includes a fair amount of usability, not something that forces them to watch their usage like a hawk for fear of going over the limits on a plan that is designed to extract every last penny out of them - like the telcos/cellcos want to do. They really think that someone is willing to pay $5 to have video sports highlights delivered to their crippled cell phone that only works on their system and only has access to their content. SBC/Verizon/other telcos want to apply this model to Internet service. What a joke!

When the dualmode cellphones with wifi/cellular capability that are not locked to specific carriers come along and a person can choose between data from the overpriced, underspeed cellular network - or nearly free wifi bandwidth that is 10x faster and doesn't carry a "per byte" charge, which one do you think a person is going to choose? Talk about dumb. It is only a matter of time before the cellco/telcos to dump their model and figure out how to succeed in the new businessplace.

Matt Larsen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Charles Wu wrote:

The elecric company doesn't care what you do with their electricity... The
gas company doesn't care what you do with their gas... The water company
doesn't care what you do with your water...

Why should the ISP care what you do with your connection, as long as it doesn't affect their network?

The electric, water, gas company all bill based on usage
Competitive marketing pressures have forced ISPs offer "unlimited"
all-you-can eat plans

If I was billing by the bit/byte, I wouldn't give a #$%#^ what the customer
did (let him resell, share his connection w/ neighbors, etc - I don't care,
b/c now there's no theft of service, since I get paid on everything
transfered)

-Charles

CWLab
Technology Architects