PPPoE will break things like printers.  I would use a HotSpot style
authentication and enable only the known machines.  All other machines
are sent to a login page or are simply firewalled and prevented from
doing anything. HotSpot and PPPoE require that you have a radius
server.

Lonnie

On 11/30/05, John Scrivner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone out there have experience with PPPoE?. I have a client who is a
> local government entity. They have people who have abused their Internet
> connection in the past. They restrict who has Internet access and when
> it can be used. One of our techs unknowingly circumvented protocol by
> helping an employee learn how to connect his personal laptop to the
> hardwired Ethernet network. Now the government entity is highly peeved
> at me. They want a complete report on the incident and a plan for how I
> will prevent people from doing this in the future at all locations. I am
> thinking we can use PPPoE to force all users even on the hardwired
> network to authenticate in order to get on the Internet. What are your
> thoughts? What will this break on an internal network that may be doing
> other things? Could an internal Windows network still function normally
> while the computer is not authenticated for Internet access? I have
> never done PPPoE and need a little guidance from those of you who have.
> Many thanks,
> Scriv

Lonnie Nunweiler
Valemount Networks Corporation