From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pete Davis
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 9:57 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Virtual AP

Mikrotik APs have the capability to create a "Virtual AP" with a secondary
SSID, but I haven't found much documentation about it.

Has anyone used this feature much? I could see this being useful during a
transitional period, while you are changing the SSID, so
you can access the CPE with the "old" ssid.
I could also see this being useful for colocating two companies on the same
tower/AP, like if you have an ISP geared toward
residential service, and another company name/marketing scheme for business
customers.
I don't know what kind of performance impact there is when you create a bunch
of APs on one radio.

I had a wierd thought about this, however: If I have 40 clients on an AP, and
set up 40 "virtual AP's" on the network with each
client on his own SSID, do they count as 40 PTP links, allowing me to kick up
the antenna gain like with the CPE?

Does the virtual AP really broadcast a secondary SSID, or does it switch
between the two rapidly, kind of like a poor man's Time
Division Multiplexing.

Pete Davis
NoDial.net