I had a wierd thought about this, however: If I have 40 clients on an AP, and set up 40 "virtual AP's" on the network with each client on his own SSID, do they count as 40 PTP links, allowing me to kick up the antenna gain like with the CPE?

The FCC looks at the physical layer for determining what gain you have available. Whether or not you can show a packet is destined for only one device has no impact of whether or not you are broadcasting power in many directions at the same time. They want to see beam forming directivity in an AP before they allow the higher power on the AP end. All virtual AP firmware I have seen has limit of 8 - VSSIDs which limits your ability to segment by SSID.

Does the virtual AP really broadcast a secondary SSID, or does it switch between the two rapidly, kind of like a poor man's Time Division Multiplexing.

The only time division aspect of the virtual AP is the beacon which is sent with a different SSID each broadcast sequentially allowing all CPE with any of the SSIDs to see and associate with the AP. This does not act like a polling mechanism. Nor does it segment time of availability by SSID from what little I know on the subject. It simply allows for several different SSID devices to associate and use the AP. One nice feature is the ability to set different AP features for each SSID. For instance you can have different WEP or other security settings for each virtual AP. Nice feature.
Scriv

Pete Davis
NoDial.net