Tom DeReggi wrote:

No the problem with Mesh is it adds many hops to the path, therefore adding significant latency, and inability to control QOS, or identify where the QOS lies. Self interference is impossible to avoid without killing every other in town at the same time.

Mesh doesn't have to add hops where they aren't needed or wanted. Further, there is no inherent added latency for a mesh network. Certainly hops and TDM add latency, but that is the case with all network architectures.

Well that brings nother issues up. Adding complexity where it is not needed in many cases. There is reliabity added by doing it at layer2. Fewer compenent to fail and manage. There is a benefit to centralized management and configuration, when scaling large projects. When end users have routers at the DMarc, there is often little need to route, as the path is rarely peer to peer in nature, and all tend to follow the path to backbone. Not that I'm not saying Routing doesn;t have its importance to be implemented at the right strategic places. Its jsut not needed every hop along the path. There are automated routing tasks like RIP and OSPF, or simlar, but its awefully risky allowing route advertizing to the front edge of ones network, or the consumer radio to have the abilty to advertise routes. Layer2 virtual circuits and VPN, are also often adequate solution to solve problems of deployment.

Unless we are talking best effort, all customers should have their own VLAN and therefore any network will have an upper limit on its size without routers. Clearly some combination of layer 2 and layer 3 is the right way to go for even a medium size network.

The Super cell gives the ISP better central control and simplicity.

I don't believe an argument has been made to back up your above statement.

Mesh has its purpose, but as a last resort in my opinion. When a Super cell is unable to reach the clientel. But I'd argue many samll repeater cells is a better way to go, so reliabilty and shortest path can be engineered into every site. When paths from point A to point B change automatically, its difficult to loose control of performance levels an individual may have at one point in time over another. QOS is near impossible to guarantee on MESH. I look at MESH as a Best effort service, and it should be deployed only when thatlevel of service isrequired. Reliability and QOS is all about creating shortest number of hops, with most direct solid links. Just my opinion. We'll see what the Muni Mesh network brings to the table after their many future case studies to come. Its the Mesh companies that are the ones pushing it,and in their eye. The reason has to do with assets not technology. Muni's don;t own the roof tops and towers. They own the street poles. Mesh works from the Street poles. MESH is a way to intiate a project, without third parties getting in the way. The Muni controls the assets required for the Technology to pull off its job. Its building management companies and owners that control the expansion of Broadband in the Super Cell.

I think you may be mixing too many arguments. We are using a fully meshed MPLS network for our fiber backbone. Our choice of a mesh architecture for our fiber backbone has nothing to do with client reachability, politics, vendor's opinions, or anything else outside of practical requirements. Our network devices can and do make routing decisions on the fly that result in better throughput, lower latency, and better QoS than traditional star and ring architectures can achieve. Understand that every major ISP is now either running a fully meshed MPLS network or has plans to migrate to one.

Muni has two choices... Go Mesh, or partner with the Local WISP, that already own the rights to the roof tops and spectrum, toguarantee quick progress. There are some exceptions to this, as many Muni's control water towers, if they are strategically located.

I don't think Muni choices whatever they are should have anything to do with an technical discussion regarding the merits of mesh as a network architecture.

-Matt