Title: Message
>The Spectra would be around $20k with external antennas. A licensed product is going to be at least that, and probably $5k more.
Sit back and actually think for a second about this comparison, and you'll realize that a similarly performing "unlicensed" solution will cost MUCH MORE (and be much riskier) relative to the licensed solution

The main difference is that the spectra requires 30 Mhz of ABSOLUTELY CLEAN SPECTRUM in both the vertical and horizontal polarities (150 Mb "Air Rate" transmits on V-pol & 150 Mb "Air Rate" transmits on H-pol -- cut off 1 polarity, you halve throughput)

In addition, the Rx sensitivity of the Spectra at the 300 Mb data rate (256 QAM) is -59 dB with an output power of +18 (so you'll need HUGE dishes to guarantee the link budget)

So, lets do a "theoretical" path calc / comparison (15 miles)

11 Ghz Licensed Link (100 Mb Full Duplex)
Rx Sensitivity: -76 dBm
Tx Power: +21 dBm
4' Dish: +39 dBi

Expected RSSI: -42.9 (>30 dB of fade margin = ROCK SOLID LINK =)

5 GHz Spectra
Rx Sensitivity: -59 dB
Tx Power: +18
6' Dish: +34 dBi

Expected RSSI: -49.4 (~10 dB of fade margin w/ 2' more of each dish)

Then there's all sort of "real-world" performance issues that occur with higher-order modulation schemes and license-exempt operation

-Charles

WiNOG Austin, TX
March 13-15, 2006
http://www.winog.com