From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Matt Liotta
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:46 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Save the Internet (Net Neutrality)

Content is supposed to get a free ride since we all sell data pipes. If a customer buys 1 meg of data service from me then they are free to use that 1 meg for whatever they want. If that isn't enough bandwidth for what they want then they better buy more. Over time will the customer be able to buy more bandwidth for less money? Sure, that trend has been going on for a long time now. Does that mean content providers are getting a free ride? No, they still have to pay transit costs on their side. Although, we are certainly peering with as many content providers as we can to reduce our transit costs and increase our customers' quality. Its pretty hot shit when you are 4ms away from Google and you don't have to pay for it.

-Matt

George Rogato wrote:

It is a stretch peter.

But you have to look at both ends of the argument, if you agree
content providers will prevail in the future and you accept that the pipe has to get bigger, you can only come to the conclusion that the provider will have increased costs.

Can the wisp actually raise thier prices while the telco and cable ops
lower theirs? Not likely.

The burden has to be shared by the content providers. I'm not saying
make google pay per click, but movies and heavy consumption content can't get a free ride.

So what should we do?

George

Peter R. wrote:

That is one huge IF! Cuz how would they make money?

If it did happen, you could always change your pricing model. Isn't there a clause in your AUP about total usage in a month? How about 30 days notice to affect a price change?

- Peter
RAD-INFO, Inc.

George Rogato wrote:

I don't know , Travis, web pages voip ftp streaming music occasional
movies low bandwidth streaming video, no problem.

But what if, what if tomorrow Travis wakes up and reads in his
newspaper that the local cable company or satellite co is going to offer a substantial discount if the just unplug the cable wire and plug in that new set top box into their isp's little router and get ALL their tv that way.

Wouldn't you ask, why can you guys use my network to feed your
customers.

Wouldn't you start wondering if those p4 routers and DS3's you got
there be enough to handle that type of traffic?
Would you have to upgrade your infrastructure to accomadate this?

What if it was google, yahoo, msn, att or even verizon that was
offering this as a way to reach customers without trying to build local infrastructure?

I'm realizing I'm exaggerating this some, at least for the near
future, but if this scenario was to take place, what would you be saying then?

George