purchased brand new Chevy 4x4 trucks with

Sweeeet!

Each truck carries the following items:
26ft extension ladder

We carry 30 ft ext as standard.
80% of the residential jobs can be done with the 30ft, but the others require the full 40 footer :-(
Usually, we'll go back with the 40 ft, as needed.

12ft ladder

By default we carry two smaller ladders... 6 foot for indoor use. Gorilla Ladder (I think up to 24 ft). The Gorilla ladders are awesome, and also collapsable to shorter height. Many of our homes require two ladders at once, one from the ground, one to the second roof. We load our 12ft A Frame up only when we know we need it, for taller ceiling warehouse type sites.

socket set

Lets not forget the dual kits. Two sets, so a two man crew can both have the tool they need. Wrenches for both sides of a Bolt/nut. Not all nuts are accessable via sockets, so wrench set. Then different complete quick cases for specific purposes. When running CAT5 in an office suite it need different tools than the tools needed for a outdoor flat roof install. So take the lighter kit designed for the job. Can't forget the crimp kits for CAT5, special CAT5 Shielded jack, Fiber tools, COAX RG6, COAX LMR400-500, for both outer casing and conductive PINs. Soldering Kit.

Add test tools, Volt meter, Fox and Hound, Cat5 Tester.

And don't forget the tool belt, loaded with everything needed.

cordless drill, regular hammer drill

We add a Sawzaw as well for cutting allthread and stuff.
Dremel for cable sheithing and fine cutting.
And can't forget the thousand different type of drill bits, masonry 1/2", 18" longs, 2" hole, masonry for screws, 1/2" wood, etc.
We also got the ammo nail gun, for going into the concrete ceilings.
Also the various chargers.

power inverter
battery pack for signal tests

That was a big time saver for us, once we got the portable power packs.

lag screws, J-mounts, staple gun, silicone, etc.

Space requirements add up quicker than you think. Each van has three portable large screw organizer cases, to handle all the major types of fasteners needed. Screws, nuts, ibeam clamps, ground wire clamps, anchors (wood, masonry, brick, floor), etc. Can't forget brackets to mount conduit, (ceiling hang or wall mount). Also spray Paint, several colors (white, sky, red brick, grey).

Then you add mounts, Chimney, J-mount, M-mount, M-mount offset, Non-penetrating 5 ft (frm), non-penetrating 10ft (jrm)

Can't forget surface mount boxes and wall plates, varying colors, varying number of holes, plastic, metal,

(2) of every kind of radio (900mhz, 2.4ghz, 5.3ghz, 5.8ghz)

But can't forget the external antennas. M2 Yagis, DSSS dish, on occasion room for two parabolics (ether 2-3-4 ft models). Can't forget the Mikrotik/StarOS stock. 1 rootena model, 1 standalone case. Spare 7"panel, 19-23" panel 5.8Ghz, window 2.4Ghz antenna. Then you can't foget Wifi Home routers, up to 5 Linksys-G, 1 Belkin Pre-N, 1 wired only, 1 VPN router. Maybe also two set of HomePlug kit, a CPE and Gateway for TelkoNet.

box of cable

Make that 8 spools. 1 spool Outdoor Direct Burial Commercial Flat roof grade (Superior Essex). 1 spool Outdoor sheilded residential (ARC Wireless), 2 spool CAT5 Plenum (often pull two runs at once), 1 spool Shielded Plenum Cat5 (expensive so don't always use it, but sometimes neeed it). 1 spool #6 Guage Ground (long runs, cell site), 1 spool #8 ground (residential, short runs) , 1 spool #10 Ground (tiing in Lightning Protector). Leave adequate room for occasional small spool of BX 3-wire 12AWG AC Electrical. Can't forget spare patch cords of various sizes, we always leave one as a courtesy. Snake rods for easy cable fishing. Bucket of Pull String. Leave room for Shop Vacume, if need to suck pull string through conduit, where cable needs to get run through.

You can't forget the grounding rod, and the big ass Hammer to hammer it in.

tripod and a couple 10ft poles
laptop with GPS

Can't forget the climbing harnesses, and buckets used with it. or other safety gear, Red Cones, Yellow Vests, Hardhats.

We can't forget to leave room, to load up the 8-16 cinder blocks required for each Non-Penetrating mount install. Preferrable like to ahve room to load 36, so we can make one trip to HomeDepot per two installs, instead of every one. Can't forget the additional cinder blocks needed every 15 feet to fastens cable to for commercial flat roofs. Can't forget the flat cart (it takes forever to haul up the cinder blocks through the lobby and elevators without it.) Can't got get method of carrying blocks up ladders. (either rope or large shoulder bag). With an extension ladder, its angled so you can just go one handed with the block on your shoulder. But with Penthouse roof ladders, they are 100% verticle, not safe to climb one handed.

Now you need to leave a trash bin area, for the no longer needed cardboard boxes, and finished water bottles. Some of the guys carry a case of water bottles or small cooler, so don't need to stop every hour for a drink.

laptop with GPS

Along with Wifi Card, Serial Cable, Power adapter, Ethernet cable Cross/straight, Digital Camera, Binoculars, Cell Phone, Local MAP book, and Paper Organizers for job pre-printed maps and directions, work orders, notes, and invoices.

> That's about it. We also have a "backup" Chevy Astro AWD van that we
used to use... and everything fit perfectly inside that as well.

I finally learned to create my own work truck. The techs always left theirs to disorganized for me to find anything. But since I rarely ever go i nthe field, I use my work VAN as the back up, if one of the tech VANs need maintenance. But that allows me to take control and do a repair quickly if techs aren't around.

surge power strips

We also carry two UPS types, 1 wall mount strip type ($50), sometimes 1 floor type 500VA w/Voltage regulation ($100).

dust pan and brush

We also carry box of disposable booties for working inside homes, when its muddy out.

Also if got old used VANs like us, can't forget basic VAN maintenance stuff... Oil, Transmission Fluid, Rag, Anti-freeze/water, paper towel, etc.

My conclusion is... If you seperate residential versus Commercial MTU, its easy. Less variation and needs for cable spools, ladders, and mounting. But when you need to be prepared to do both, the inventory starts to grow quick.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
We recently just upgraded our entire fleet... purchased brand new Chevy 4x4 trucks with automatic, air, cruise. We then installed 3 tool boxes in each truck bed and a single ladder rack. The trucks get 15mpg and are great in the snow. We also now have a "fixed" expense on the trucks, having them under warranty and not having any down-time due to vehicles being in the shop.

Each truck carries the following items:
26ft extension ladder
12ft ladder
socket set
cordless drill, regular hammer drill
power inverter
lag screws, J-mounts, staple gun, silicone, etc.
(2) of every kind of radio (900mhz, 2.4ghz, 5.3ghz, 5.8ghz)
box of cable
tripod and a couple 10ft poles
battery pack for signal tests
laptop with GPS

That's about it. We also have a "backup" Chevy Astro AWD van that we used to use... and everything fit perfectly inside that as well.

Travis
Microserv

Tom DeReggi wrote:

I don't know guys... Whats more costly, GAS or TECHNICIAN's Time?
Let expand that more.... What is the real cost of technician's time. Lost technician time is really lost revenue. That technican is required to generate revenues which are mutiples of his direct income/cost. To cover the various overheads of the company. The problem can't just be solved by hiring more techs, every tech needs to be managed, sales generated for him, etc.

A trip to DC and Back from offices. 1.5 hours (60 miles round trip)
Tech time cost @ $20 per hour = $30. ($15 per hour + factoring in Taxes, Benefits, Paid Holidays and such)
Gas Cost @ 10 miles per gallon, @ $3 per gallon = $18.

So in conclusion, technician time is almost twice as costly as gas.

So the big question is, whats required to optimize a technician's time? How much more efficiency can be acheived by being more organized? What allows better organization? Do you buy the 8 mpg commercial size VAN to gain more room, or the smaller 20 mpg Station wagon / Family VAN ?

I chose the Family VAN 5 years ago, and bought two of them. How much space do you really need? Well I pay the consequences daily. I am confident that I am loosing because of that decission. There is just not enough room in that VAN. My techs spend more time cleaning their Vans than they do doing installs, and they are still Pig Steyes. I NEED A BIGGER VAN! Or I need a more organized way of using it. I started to make a list of all the components that we needed in the VAN, the list was getting so large, I ran out of paper. Is it management or space?

Those that support the idea that a smaller vehichle is acceptable, I'd be interested in hearing what you carry with you, and what product you chose to do with out. I just haven't found a way to make it all fit.

Get answers at this years ISPCON. #A8
Truck Roll Tricks: Installations that Maximize Time and Money

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl A Jeptha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>