To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 3:06 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] looking for a device

Thanks to all for the double VLAN explanation. That makes perfect sense to me now.

Can anyone describe any functional and/or technical differences between VLANs and say MPLS or Mikrotik's EoIP? It sounds to me like all three are functional equivalents of each other. Please correct me if this is an incorrect assumption. I have Googled it so spare me the obvious. I want to hear your thoughts.
Thanks,
Scriv

Eric Rogers wrote:

It is also referred as 802.1q tagging... If it supports multiple layers,
you can have a customer VLAN tags within your network VLAN tags.  Just
need your equipment that takes off your tags before it gets to the
customer.

AT&T uses the Cisco 3750 switches to do it at the customer's premises.
Then the customer can have VLAN 10 at one location and VLAN 10 at
another, and it is completely transparent to the end user.

If that made sense.

Eric