I'd like to piggy-back off of this thread.  I'm getting further in the
planning stages for my WISP as well and am trying to come up with ideas
for a pilot program.  I want to get a few initial customers who will have
free internet access for a month or two when I first bring the network
online.  The idea being that they will identify any potential problem
areas and serve as contacts for new customers who would like to talk to
someone who has been using the service for a while.  I was planning on
sending letters to potential pilot program members, but I'm not sure if
that will be the best technique.  Any suggestions?  My ISP will be serving
small/medium businesses in an area with existing broadband technologies.
Our emphasis will be on reliability and customer support.

Once the pilot program is active, I was planning on using direct mailings,
door hangers, and other direct communication methods to target potential
customers.  I anticipate the hardest part will be "getting my foot in the
door".  I like the idea of a parking lot demo, but how to convince the
people to take time out of their days to see the equipment is the
question.  Ideas?

Patrick