From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Rich Comroe
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:59 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] VoIP Is About More Than Replacing The Phone

Very cool.  I love gadgets too ... got'ta play with them all.

> Rich, I don't agree.

But I've no idea what I said that you disagree with.  What I said was I
don't see VoIP providing advanced services that the consumer marketplace as
a whole is going to pick-up (for example, the way caller-id has ...
everybody has it now).  What I believe the consumer marketplace wants is
talk minutes (disagreeing with the post that started this thread ... which
says VoIP is incorrectly competing as cheap minutes, while what they should
be selling is advanced features).   Tony replied: what about IP
video-conferencing or multiple numbers.  In the email you're disagreeing
with I said: come on ... the general consumer isn't going to go for these in

a big way.  Is this what you're disagreeing with, because you use these
features?

I have a constant debate over how bright or technically savvy the average
consumer is.  There's a lot of bright people.  But never make the mistake of

presuming the people you deal with on the cutting-edge of broadband are
representative of the general marketplace.  It ain't so.  It ain't even
close.  The fact that you use these advanced features is great.  I bet a lot

of people on this list do.  I do.  But a lot of the people on the list
(especially those that work with residential consumers) can speak volumes
from their experience.  And (I might add) I bet those that subscribe to
wireless broadband may be closer to the cutting-edge than to the general
population. (scarey).  Virtually everybody's got a phone.

Rich