From: Travis Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 23 June 2006 05:14
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] frame size and fps - was OT: about 70Mbps for under $ 6K

Stephen,

Could you share retail pricing on your products? I don't see any pricing listed on your website. I'm sure many people (including myself) could be interested in getting more information, etc. but it's nice to see if the product is even close to the price range we are looking.

Travis
Microserv

Stephen Patrick wrote:
Hi Charles,

Well I can't comment on what software Alvarion uses - they of course can.
Sure we can share more information with people on our solution.  It uses a passively-cooled, 1GHz CPU in outdoor grade housing with a powerful architecture capable of driving 5 radio cards with over 200Mbps bridged wireless-ethernet throughput demonstrated in P2MP configuration.
It has both 10/100 POE and Gig-E ports.  Several users tell us that's a pretty unique solution on the market just now.

The Routerboards are great, but are optimised for a completely different cost/performance point. Apples and Oranges.
You are right that on slower platforms, the "software overhead" of Nstreme actually reduces net throughput, i.e. CPU is limiting and the extra processing slows things down.  On our boxes the opposite is true, the radio cards are the limiting factor and we can extract the very last bps/pps from them.

Re: your comment about MT's documentation, we have our own user manuals for customers, to support our product range.
Nstreme "repackages" the data into frames, which with polling greatly improves P2MP performance as well as the huge improvements seen on P2P links.  This is reality not myth.  I'd strongly recommend trying the solution "for real" rather than "believing the vendor" (us in this case).
Coupled with a MT-based CPE (we have our own also, now at pretty aggressive prices in volume) you have major benefits in a P2MP environment and the security improvements that are inherent with the "proprietary extension" nature of Nstreme - you can't see or connect to it using a WiFi or "Brand X" client.
I am sure other users can comment on the latest StarOS versions, but AFAIK that uses "plain vanilla" 802.11a with the Atheros WiFi extensions.  That isn't the same, MT's Nstreme adds a completely new layer, with "small packet performance" being a major benefit, as other users commented.  I think Lonnie is on this list and can comment on the latest in StarOS/StarVX.

Best regards

Stephen