To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] WiSP info needed

EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY.

To be more specific, automation and linking between every computerized system a WISP may need. If you are interested, I'll send you an Outline that I made that is the basis for an internal application we have just started to create. I wish there was someone else out there that would have created it for us, for we didn't have to. It going to be tough to get teh ROI, based on our subscriber size, but we have no choice but to spend the development dollars.

Its not jsut linking to technical provisioning servers but also linking to other data bases to track things.

We currently have a different method or spreadsheet for tracking each type of information that we need to track, and its becoming very incumbersome making sure each sheet gets updated. There 10 places to record customer information for example. I believe tracking customers needs to start in the billing system, and from there its logical to tie it to the other systems, that way it prevents lossing track of syncing data or missing information entered in for some one. Part of the problem is the flow and what part of your staff needs access to what features, and at what time they ahve relevant info.

Here are just some of the things needing tracked.

Commissions for Property owners.
Commissions for resellers.
Radio inventory (where at).
Radio configurations
IP configurations.
Contact info. (reseller, accounting, technical, building engineer, what management co) Automated List server for each product client subscribes to. (Alert based on cell site, mail, web sector, reseller, etc.)
Stage in provisioning.
Stage in sales process.
Automate mail configuration.
Billing info.
Terms of colocation
Firmware (what radios and indoor Linksys routers have currently, and which need updating, who owns it) Configurations also get very complicated to track, because every customer configured slightly different. (What cell, what sector, what building, what VLAN, What relay site, bridged or routed, reboot devices, pingable or not, password info for all devices, ) Common access to this data from resellers, ISP, and building management. What data can each entity see?
Does this data get linked to property owner, address, client, etc?
Linking downtime, to billing credit.
Real time QOS info. (preferrably linked to a view for resellers, client, and ISP.) What security concerns open up, if an outsourced billing system gets linked to internal servers and technical management systems.
Monitoring needs to be linked to the customer contact and billing info.

A lot of this data is logical to attach to the client record at time of provisioning. It would be awaste to recreate that for a seperate technical system. My logic is that a billing system itself is very easy to create. Just run a report againt the client base. Whats difficult is linking the billing system to a full featured accounting system. If the outsourced system is a complete accounting system, its a stronger reason to use the outsourced product. However, most aren't because accounting systems are two complicated, so most people use quickbooks. So if an ISP needs to create all those other technical databases, and using quickbooks, why not jsut run the billing report from the their own database?

So the outsourced solution needs to be very powerful, and that is hard to do when every one does business a little bit differently. Even commissions is a difficult thing. For example I'm only obligated to pay management companies commissions on funds collected, and funs collected may depend on if there is a reseller and if any credits were given for downtime. All this stuff links back to the customer record.

I think a software developer that figures out a way to track all these relationships effectively, will make a killing, but no one has come even close yet. The best ASP product I've seen today, is an application made by Delaware.net which is similar to salesforce.com, except it links to more things (phone/Email/etc) and works the way a small WISP office executive would work, as far as tracking how calls need to be handled the full cycle from phone call comming in to handled through tech. It does not have WISP technical or billing modules yet, but it handles many of the component needed to run an organized business. Thats a product I'd like to see evolve to handle more needs WISPs would need.

The question I have is, with all the things to link to (Email systems, support tracking systems, accounting systems, phone systems, notification systems, provissioning systems, billing systems, etc) how can it be effectively taken out of the office?

I'll give you an example of a problem... What do you do when you have a global outage, and the phone is ringing off the hook with 1000 inquiring customers? How about a telemarketer machine, that will automatically start calling the customers, based on emergency contact info listed in the customer database? How is the dialer machine going to get the data if the Internet service is down and your customer data is elsewhere?

At minimum an outsourced system needs a system that replicates a copy of relevant data on customer premise for access.

I'm not saying an ASP solution won't work, I'm jsut saying, there are many challenges that the ASP providers leave out that are required for doing business, and as a result not always effective.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "KyWiFi LLC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>