Hey Brian,
You should have a lightning arrestor between the antenna and radio, well grounded to the tower, also an arrestor between the radio and your red barn, well grounded.  That should protect the radio as well as can be.

7/1/05, my tower was hit, I had all the arrestors in place, and well grounded.  Of the 4 AP's on the tower one survived, but I have had good luck since.
Ron Wallace
Hahnron, Inc.
220 S. Jackson Dt.
Addison, MI 49220