I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll be honest that I did bring up my network bridged because it is easier in the short term. But as I grow, I'm well aware of the fact that bridging can lead to bigger problems and my intention from the get-go has been to route. I think now, my biggest thing is figuring out how to modify my POP's to achieve what I want (hardware-wise that is). I want to get this setup how I want / need it before I get too much larger. I've got 3 POP's and about 30 clients right spread between them. I'm getting more businesses on that need RDP and / or VPN capability and as it is right now (all clients on private IP space NAT'd to one public IP) I'm not able to provide this.

Anyway, I don't want to drag the thread on. There is a ton of great info in here from everone who posted, and it is very much appreciated by me (and I'm sure others). For the record, Matt did respond earlier in the thread somewhere as well I do believe.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lonnie Nunweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Managing CPE in routed network

Jason,

Forget the VLAN and switch approach.  They might be usable on fibre
installs but radios are not the equivalent of a fibre or wire.  A
bridge is not the equivalent of a switch.  So using wireless bridges
is not the same as using fibre and switches.

The other issue is that bridging takes more CPU than routing.  Many
people will find this hard to believe but our routing performance
exceeds the bridging performance by at least 10%.  This is due to the
requirement of the CPU to analyze every packet in bridge mode whereas
routing just passes traffic for the MAC, which is all hardware
assisted in the Ethernet controller chip.

Subnet everything and use RIP and you will not have all IP addresses
addressable and you do not have to do anything other than enter a
default route.  It is just as easy as bridging without all of the
issues.

If you question whether there are bridge issues with wireless and
bizarre behaviour from proxy arp, mac cloning and WAN/LAN mixups then
you are not paying attention to the bulk of the posts on most of the
wireless lists and support forums.

People who tell you to bridge quite frequently do not know how to
route, and for that reason I would consider their advice as quite
suspect.  Bridging requires little or no knowledge which is why the
bulk of people use it.  They take the unit out of the box and connect
a unit and all of a sudden they have a magical LAN.  Rather than stop
and design a proper subnet structure they simply start adding other
users, and wow is it ever easy.  At that point they think those were
fools telling them to route.  How can something so simple and powerful
ever give them trouble?  Unfortunately as the bridge grows they begin
to have broadcast issues and so they investigate VLAN switches.  That
fixes it up and off they tear and add more customers and every now and
then another VLAN switch and life is great.

Then you get the guy who wants to run his own VLAN between his two
offices and the Industry comes up with VLAN in VLAN.  By now it is
getting a bit complicated and they have all of these VLAN tags to deal
with but at least they did not have to learn about IP and routing.  I
have noticed it is almsot like a badge of honour to be able to say
they do not route.

At the end of the day you still have a big old flat address space and
any customer can, and often does, affect your entire network.  With no
knowledge of your IP design, they can snoop and scan you and all of
your customers and your backbone infrastructure.  With nothing to
segment your network you have a fairly tough time to even find the
area the trouble comes from because the nature of a bridge makes sure
that everybody on the network can hear the traffic.  The purpose of a
bridge is to connect two or more physical segments and make them
appear as one.

The other point is the Internet runs on routed machines.  Sure the
Telcos have switches in certain locations but the whole grand design
is IP and subnet based.  Since you connect to that bigger network I
advise that you use the same design techniques that it uses.  To be
direct, a wireless bridge is not even close to a fibre switch with
FDX, unlimited bandwidth and no latency.

Bridging causes a lot of trouble.  I know this first hand since I am
the guy my customers call to get a hand in fixing the trouble.  Sure
the guys have a bit to learn about routing and subnets, but this is
their business.  Why would they not wish to learn about networking?
How can anyone be building out networks and not have a basic knowledge
of networking?  Wireless is a combination of RF and Network
Administration, and I am sorry to say, but most people in wireless
have no clue about either of those topics, yet they are active on the
lists and give out lots of "advice".

One of the largest wireless systems is run by Matt Larsen and you
won't find him telling you to bridge.  Will you Matt?

The decision is yours, but don't make the decision based on the fact
you have to learn a few things to route and can just jump in if you
bridge.  If you don't learn those few things about routing then I am
quite sure you'll end up learning a host of other things about
bridging and the plethora of issues you can have.

Routing is the very simple application of a few basic rules of
subnetting and traffic direction.  Once people have learned the basics
they usually tell me it is actually easier than bridging and not a
single person has ever told me that they had better performance when
they were bridged.

Sorry for the long posting, but this topic has touched some trigger
points of mine.

Lonnie