To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ma Bell's About Face On Muni-WiFi

Matt Liotta wrote:

Patrick Leary wrote:

We are on the same page, trust me. There has yet to be a solidly working
civic access muni network. By solidly, I mean indoor coverage without
forced buying of a secondary CPE. We have also yet to see a successfully
scaled mesh network for low cost civic access. Philly and San Fran are
still on paper only. These networks are able to provide good outdoor
coverage only so far. That is also why we like playing the multipoint
backhaul layer. We can reliably deliver that middle layer and get high
connectivity for the mesh nodes, fixed cameras, traffic lights, a city
buildings, but the success of the Wi-Fi layer is beyond our control and
remains the questionable piece.

What happens to Alvarion when these networks fail? Does the market get flooded with your radios for pennies on the dollar? Does it make customers question the viability of wireless operators in general? We are certainly questioned routinely on why we will succeed when WinStar and others failed.

-Matt

Why should the networks all fail? If they provide easy mobile access to WiFi then that is what you design and build them to do. That is what I am doing. If the 4 nodes we turned on today in our downtown provide me with the ability to find a business downtown through the captive portal, allow me to access the Internet to check my email, and allow me to search for other information then it does what it needs to do for me. Define the terms for failure you are predicting. I have yet to see anyone prove that muni-WiFi will fail any more than I have seen anyone prove it will work. Matt, if you are thinking the platform will fail then why are you launching nodes on street lights yourself? Is it just a test system you are building or what? I believe there is too much interest in seeing muni-WiFi as a future platform for it to be a complete failure. I sure would like to see that business plan that shows it failing or prospering though. Neither plan exists as far as I know. It is the great unknown right now.
Scriv