We got one of the Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter just today. Has a 5-led signal strength display. Great fun. It's dish antenna is built-in but they may have one with an external antenna connection too.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] ot? New pc card slot in laptop

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

It also has no PCMCIA slot!
It's got a slot that's the right size but the connections inside the
slot are all wrong.

That's probably an ExpressCard slot. Welcome to the bleeding edge. :)

I need to find an external wireless card that I can hook a cable to and
get actual dB data from various antennas.

I'm not sure such a creature exists yet. I suspect most laptops that
have the new ExpressCard slot also have built-in wireless, so there
isn't a perceived market for it.

Anyone have any idea what this is and/or what I can do to make this work?

Well, if you're so inclined, chances are the laptop has a mini-PCI slot
(if you've got onboard wireless, it definitely does). In theory, you
could drill a little teensy hole in the mini-PCI slot cover, and run a
pigtail out from the onboard wireless card to an external antenna. It'd
look awfully ghetto but it'd probably work.

(Disclaimer: This is a crazy idea. David Smith, his boss, and MVN take
no responsibility for this. Void where prohibited. Do not taunt Happy
Fun Ball.)

David Smith
MVN.net