From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom DeReggi
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:15 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Real World comparison of Trango-staros-Alvarion

My conclusion was that Alvarion was the safest bet. (award winning
caliber)
They could provide performance, time efficiency, and capable to gather
equivellent accurate realtime testing data, via Alvarion EQ and SNR
readings. However, there are many factors in selecting a radio, and
"safest
bet", is not always the true need.  Sometimes its the best compromise to

meet multiple needs. What can't you do without? I currently have more
Trango
and StarOS backhauls on my network, for what ever reason.  My point in
the
post is that, if a provider realizes the true characteristics of the
various
products, and is honest with themselves on what the true need/value of a

specific link is, or true need of the provider, they can make the best
choice for each case.  Every product has its value, or it would be
discontinued.

I will clarify further...

In this particular case, StarOS won.  And I see that there will be many
cases in the future where StarOS will win again.
But it brought forward a limitation, that will likely influence me not
use it for many cases where it is not apppropraite to take the risk of
using
it. In this particular case, the Atlas PTP was least attractive, as it
does
not have real-time SNR capabilty, which is a valuable tool, and this
particular case Dual-Polarity had no additional value, since the noise
floor
on the other pol (verticle) was way to high and consistent.  The
original AP
link actually had been in place as a PTMP for several years, and we knew
the
Verticle Pol competitors were there first, so I had no intentions of
wanting
to step on their links.  In the future, I know there will be links, that
will not justify doing without real-time SNR statistics.  But these
comments
do not negate the value of Trango PTPs. There are many cases where
Trango
Atlas, will likely be the best compromise to meet all needs.  Trango
still
delivers best value per mb (price), with Dual-Polarity flexibilty, and
best
of class testing tools.

The other issue, that comes up is channel center freqs.  The Atlas PtPs
fits
nicely into my existing network, because they operate at full capacity
on
the same channel options, as my Trango PtMPs.  But will Trango PtMP,
stay my
primary PtMP, for new deployments? That has not been determined.  If I
chose
an alternate PtMP solution based on Atheros, that uses different channel

center freqs, the Alvarion(Atheros) PTPs may better fit, into the
network.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband