I would not even consider charging for a site survey.

Way too many possibilitys for bad press. I simply consider it a cost of doing business. Rarely do we have someone decline service if it can be done at our $199/$299 install rate. I have declines on the $799+ installs, but I expect those.

Blair Davis
West Michigan Wireless ISP

Justin Wilson wrote:

I would not be happy about the $29.95 fee. If you can get away with it go right ahead. I look at it the customer is betting $29.95 that they can get service. I would rather have it here if they can get service, and they don't then they are charged $29.95. If they can't get service why should they have to pay $29.95? That would be like going to buy a new car. You want a Blue one with a stick shift. The dealer can't get you one, but they charge you $29.95 for looking. I think the word will spread pretty quickly. Customers are a weird beast. I can see the coffee shop conversations now:

Joe:"Yeah that company came out and did a site survey to see if they could get me wireless"
    Bob " How did that go?"
Joe "The installer guy waived an antenna around and said he could not get me a signal"
    Bob "Too bad, so what now?"
    Joe "I don't know, but I got charged $29.95 for him coming out"
Bob "What? They are supposed to come out next week. I don't want them charging me $29.95 if they can't hook me up."

    Just my .02
    Justin

--
Justin S. Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Access - WISP Consulting - Tower Climbing