I concur. When a 900 MHz access point (AP) is located "near" a high-power paging (or other high-power) transmitter then a bandpass filter is "cheap insurance" to avoid or minimize the AP receiver "desensing" (overload) that the high-power transmitter may cause. It's impossible to know in advance how near a high-power transmitter is "too near". It depends on the AP receiver selectivity, the power of the nearby transmitter, the antenna patterns, the separation distance and the strength of the incoming signals from the WISP clients. Bandpass filters will help. Physically moving further away from the high-power transmitter will also help.

jack

P.S. - This is discussed on page 258 of my book.

John Scrivner wrote:

If you have an adjacent channel carrier which is running hundreds of watts of power then you may not have a choice of whether to use the bandpass filter or not. Your system may not operate in the upper part of the 900 MHz band. What happens is that the adjacent carrier will "swamp" your receiver and your base station will essentially become deaf to your own, much quieter, client radios. The bandpass filter is the sole remedy to this. I think many people use filters by default because they do little harm to your system performance and may mean the difference between your system working or completely failing in the presence of higher-powered adjacent carriers.

I currently run Waverider 900 MHz systems and because of this I may have a system which is more sensitive to adjacent carrier swamping than other platforms. I simply do not know about other platforms to say one way or another. I believe Charles has tested several 900 MHz platforms and may be able to expand on this discussion. It is important to note that he may have a bias toward Canopy as he now sells that platform. I can only assume that his testing may have led him, in part, to this platform choice for 900 MHz systems. Care to share your thoughts Charles?

If anyone out there has any past experience with swamped 900 MHJz receivers, bandpass filters, different 900 MHz platforms, etc. then please share your thoughts about the use/need for bandpass filters. I would like to know more myself.
Scriv

Larry Yunker wrote:

While filters can help, the problem that I see is that filters are: 1) expensive and 2) bulky. Last time I checked, a cavity filter for the 902-928 range was roughly $300-$400. I don't see it being practical to install one of these at every customer site!

Cavity filters are fine for your broadcast sites, but that is of little help when the 900Mhz paging systems bleed over so much that they "deafen" the subscriber radios.

- Larry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Cowan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>