As usual Rich, you post material we all learn from. I've not much to add
except to say first that most every scaled WISP I know employs some
decent packet shaper, if only to more fully understand the nature of the
traffic on their network.

That said, Alvarion uses a bandwidth management technique that is 4th
gen (for us). Our first gen versions years ago tended to choke when the
oversubscription was being hit, due either to overly optimistic
assumptions on the part of the WISP or because of some unique event
(e.g. 9/11). Our current generation of bandwidth management implements a
choreography between the both the infrastructure and clients side and
should the network get tapped beyond the oversubscription model, then
the system will gracefully degrade the access of all the clients on the
network, but do so proportionately to their subscribed tiers so the
larger users continue to get bigger pipes compared to those subscribed
at lower access levels.

Patrick Leary
AVP WISP Markets
Alvarion, Inc.