On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 01:40:41 -0600 (CST), Butch Evans wrote
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, wispa wrote:
>
> >This is the FCC declaring that EVERY MEANS OF COMMUNICATION BE
> >PRE-TAPPED at the expense of industry.
>
> WHAT?  You are not correct.  This is the LEA asking for a means to
> collect data on suspected criminals.  They will have to have a
> subpoena to gather the data, and they do not "automatically" get
> access to your network data.  You are being alarmist and aren't even
> informed enough to understand what CALEA is.

Uhmm, Butch...  No, they're not "asking for a means".  They're insisting that
we build the tap into our network, at our expense, prior to a request (
whether we got any requests or not ), to provide them data in a specific
form.

THAT is precisely what I said, nothing more, and nothing less.

> Who's that looking over your shoulder...You should be careful not to
> fall asleep, because they are watching your bedroom right now.  They
> watch ALL our bedrooms (and kitchens, too).  They can read all our
> email, too.  In fact, the post office opens every letter that passes
> through to send faxes to the government of all the mail, so they'll
> have it on record.  I've heard that the trees are on their side,
> too!
>
> SHEESH!  You ARE tiring.

Well, if you didn't make all that up, then you might have had a point.  I
said nothing of the sort.

Up to this point, the LEA's had to pony up the means of tapping and grabbing
the data they wanted.  Which, in my view, is fair and equitable.  Why should
we all pay for and design a network around some system few will ever use?

CALEA was NOT written for ISP's or VOIP.   The FCC and DOJ have broadened its
meaning all on their own.