I'm sure this branch of the thread has already been killed, but I haven't read that far yet :)

wispa wrote:
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:04:37 -0800, George Rogato wrote
I predict the little guy will end up giving all his subs publics and passing the ball to their upstreams, and probably-most likely for a price. I find it hard to believe this is not going to be an option.

You actually think that the "big guys" will actually let that happen? Come on. What are you smoking? This is thier chance to wipe out all those pesky little guys and own it all. And the FCC and feds will cheer at the "order" forced from "chaos".
Quite honestly I doubt Qwest (my only real competitor) could give a crap about my subs, they are more concerned on how to get customers away from cable. However I do doubt they are all that excited about CALEA on the data side of things either, it is more work for anyone involved although their budgets are larger and they do already have some infrastructure in place for this type of thing.
We'll find out more Thursday when we meet at the Hoover Building in DC to talk to the FBI and Homeland Security about CALEA.

If anyone has any questions they want answered, nows the time to put them in print.

Yeah. "Could you please quote the constitutional authority for this, please cite relevant sections and paragraphs."
Like this means anything in this day and age. You can quote the Constitution to a politician and most judges all you want but it will not alter reality. The federal government has well exceeded the rights granted it in the Constitution over a hundred years ago and they are not going to give them back to the states. Even if they did, you would see most states cede those rights back to the federal government. Deal with it, it is the political reality and so few people care enough it isn't going to change.
Oh, and "What do you intend to do to prevent small neighborhood networks, informal internet access via voluntary and cooperative systems, free networks, and open and free networks from continuing to be non-compliant and even unaware of the requirements?"
This is an interesting gray area. In most cases it would not even hit the radar until someone is "tapped" and they issue a warrant only to find out that it isn't the IP owners traffic. How the government proceeds from there will be interesting. I would be interested to know what the seattle folks are doing for this. Another interesting one is the free muni people.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

I would like the answer to those on tape and in writing. And then we need to work at launching the largest "industry and public" backlash ever, to end this sort of stuff and ensure it NEVER comes back.

Mark Koskenmaki  <> Neofast, Inc
Broadband for the Walla Walla Valley and Blue Mountains
541-969-8200