From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of wispa
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:55 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] No, Patrick, it's not about the stickers...

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 09:32:42 -0800, Patrick Leary wrote
> "Sticker conscious?" So this is what we've become as an industry?
> Following the very clear laws, which were once again just reiterated
> to us after another in a long chain of WISP visits, or not has now
> been reduced to simply being "sticker conscious" or "not sticker
conscious"?
> Why not go further and call yourself "Illegal and proud" or just "I
> don't give a ____"? Let's not have any more "gee, I can't afford to be
> legal!" That's not an argument that is credible today, with the range
> from legal cheap to premium CPE running from about $170 to sub-$300 -
> - that's cheap.

No, Patrick, it's NOT about the sticker.  It's about the fact that I can
assemble a geek squad of a few people, that, using freely available software
and cheap and easily available hardware, can BUILD FOR OURSELVES better
priced and 'better suited for WISP use' equipment in a few weeks than
Alvarion, Motorola and Trango have managed to do in years.

Not only are we better, we're faster, we advance quicker, and we do more
with less, AND CAN PRODUCE IT ALL COMPLIANT WITH THE TECHNICAL LIMITS OF THE
LAW, faster than any larger company can dream of doing.  Why?  Because we
live in a free country and we have free minds.  But we can't do it legally.
Why?
Because the rules now PREVENT us from doing it and protect the interests of
Alvarion and Motorola, rather than enhance the industry.

It's because the best and brightest DO NOT build systems.  The best and
brightest at building sofware are building software.  The best and brightest
at building cheap radios are doing so.  And the rest of us are assembling
the parts we need to do the job that NO MAKER OF CERTIFIED GEAR HAS YET TO
ASPIRE to, much less produce.  WE ARE CAPABLE of putting those bits
together, like it or not.

That's why Apple Computers based the latest iteration of their operating
system on something produced mostly by amateurs and geeks and ordinary
schmucks....for FREE.   It was better than ANYTHING Apple could pay any
number of software engineers to build on their own.  Period.  Thus, FreeBSD
became the basis of OS X.  AGain, the capability of the ordinary schmucks
proved to be a giant leap ahead of the #2 choice in pc's.

> My God, 5.4 is going to be a massive mess. OET will have to install a
> special phone line just to handle the incoming DoD complaint calls.

Well, certainly, NOT A ONE OF US ON THIS LIST wants that.  But if you wish
to become an advocate for this industry, THEN STOP DEMANDING WE STOP BEING
CREATIVE AND ADVANCING OUR INDUSTRY AND INSTEAD BE HELD BACK BY YOUR COMPANY
AND THE OTHER "manufacturers", and start helping us get a legal and
regulatory environment that works, instead of one that's hopelessly broken,
so we CAN.

I hate to break it to you, but if today, Alvarion, Motorola, Trango, and a
host of other names like them vanished from the map, the WISP business could
and would go on, and we could do it purely with the talents and skills that
exist with the individual operators.

TURN IT LOOSE instead of attempting to bottle it up.  Or is your loyalty
purely to the company and not to US?

> Patrick Leary
> AVP WISP Markets
> Alvarion, Inc.