Remember that the tighter the filter the more loss you'll have going through it too....
marlon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jack Unger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:50 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] failing Canopy 900

Brian,

Bandpass filters come in different band "widths". Some are full-band filters that pass 902-928 MHz and some are single-channel filters that are narrower and pass only one channel. The bandwidth of the two Ubiquity filters are a little narrow to use across the entire band but if you are using 912 or 917 as center frequencies, they should work well. If you're using a lower center frequency, you'll need a filter that has a bit wider bandwidth but which still attenuates the paging frequencies a lot. The availability of good whole-band bandpass filters seems to have deteriorated a bit in the last year. There are more filters available but they seem to have poorer characteristics and sometimes higher prices. I just looked at RFLinx and Hyperlinktech and I am not happy with their current offerings. I did discover a notch filter that is tuned to attenuate the paging frequencies while passing the 902-928 frequencies. I don't know the pricing but if it's priced reasonably then it looks like your best bet. Here's the link:

http://www.microwavefilter.com/2ghzRelocation.htm#ism

It's the filter at the bottom of the page. If you call them to get a spec sheet and to check pricing, please share that info.

Thanks,
         jack

Brian Rohrbacher wrote:

Thanks, Jack. Would installing this one http://www.ubnt.com/cf.php4 be the correct move? Or is something else preferred.

Brian

Jack Unger wrote:

Brian,

A -36 dBm signal probably won't destroy your receiver or permanently desensitize it however your best bet is to get confirmation from a Motorola rep. The signals you see at 928-930 MHz are from one or more paging transmitters. These paging signals could easily desensitize your AP receivers temporarily and cause a temporary inability to hear incoming SM signals.

Since you appear to be using antennas that are external to your APs, you can insert a bandpass filter between each AP and its antenna. This will attenuate the paging signals and allow the APs to receive SM's from further away. If the paging transmitters ARE the cause of your apparent AP receiver sensitivity deterioration, then the bandpass filters should be helpful in reducing the frequency of occurance of the problem.

jack

Brian Rohrbacher wrote:

How would that help? One sector is still pointing at the interference.......Wouldn't that sector still make the radio fail, if the -36 signal is what is doing it? My question from the original post. Will that strong signal desensitize the radio into failure? If not, then I need to figure out what kills my radios. Why do they work fine for a month and then die? I replace just the radio and they are fine for a while.

Brian

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 wrote:

If you are that close to a source of interference you need to ditch the omnis and sectorize our tower.

laters,
Marlon
42846865 (icq) And I run my own wisp!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Rohrbacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Conversations over a new WISP Trade Organization" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:05 AM
Subject: [WISPA] failing Canopy 900

I keep losing canopy 900 APs. I used the spectrum analyzer yesterday and saw -36 signal on channels 928, 929, and 930. Will that strong signal desensitize the radio into failure? because for some reason SMs that used to be -65 are -80 (on both sides of the like) and 17 out of 33 associations have dropped off the AP. I've been fighting this for a year. I've installed my own grounding, a lighting dissipater, 6 new APs, 2 new omnis, and 3 new cables. I think I have ruled out anything that could be killing this AP except if something RF is killing it. Any input will help.

Brian

Serving the License-Free Wireless Industry Since 1993
Newsletters Downloadable from http://ask-wi.com/newsletters.html