We don't have to agree.  I certainly respect differing opinions as long as
their from people that seem to know the field.

I thought the switch to 2nd gen "put up whatever you want" was a departure from
earlier FCC stand ... when all 1st gen cellular systems would follow the TIA
approved AMPS standard.  Why do I think the change was not for our best?
Because the US manufacturers went from world domination of cellular (you could
take your amps phone anywhere in the world), to last place (almost the entire
world adopted the GSM standard in the face of the US meltdown in digital
cellular standards).  You can dislike GSM, but it became the defacto world
standard and you can take your GSM phone anywhere.  US cellular manufacturers
world market share plumeted, and manufacturers that built to the USDC (TIA
IS54) and CDMA (TIA IS95) found very few foreign markets that would accept
product.  The US became one of the very few nations on the planet where a
carrier could deploy anything they wanted.  The NexTel system, likewise, can be
found almost nowhere except US / Canada.  Pick any 2 people in the US with
cellphones, and it's more likely than not they are incompatible & not able to
receive service from the same tower.  Technically it provides everyone in the
entire United States with inferior coverage (considering the number of total
towers providing service), more expensive phones (multi-mode), inferior voice
quality (extra voice decoding / recoding becuase they all have incompatible
voice codecs), and additional voice latency.  Eventually European GSM became
yet another US deployed technology adding to the mish-mosh.

US Standards participants coined the phrase "if one standard is good, multiple
standards are better."  This is non-sense.  If there's not a single standard
you have no standard.  A single standards does not inhibit technology, because
standards continuously evolve and eventually extend to new technologies in a
compatible, planned way.  Just look at 802.11 ... it's a classic example of an
"evolving" standard.  Standards do inhibit something ... but it's not
technology ... its the choice to deploy whatever you want.  It imposes a
certain discipline for the general public ... which I think is a good thing.
It's disheartening as all hell to look at a field near me with 4 antenna towers
(3 of them 500ft) and a different wisp providing service from each (from an
interference standpoint).  There's roughly 30 different 5.7GHz transmitters all
within 1000ft and LOS of each other.  There's so many examples like this which
simply scream at you that the wisps would collectively have benefitted were
some minimum media access procedures common across all these devices.

Anyways, I appreciate your thoughts and enjoy comparing differing opinions.

peace,
Rich