>Sort of off topic, to be sure, but, exactly what does having a universal
>standard do for us?

Aren't all the toilet paper rolls the same width for your roller?  Donn't all
the toilets mount in the same size base fitting?  :-)

>How long... or, should I say, what, is even the remote possibility, that
>Europe will switch should we invent something far better than GSM?  Size
>creates inertia.  Inertia and mass create friction and friction resists
>movement.

Oh, contrair.  With the size of the worldwide GSM there is lots of momentum
behind its evolution.  GPRS happened and was available in the same time-frame
as US based 2&1/2G solutions.  Next, GSM is migrating to WCDMA (the "standard"
version of the EVDO's we're seeing being deployed around here).

>But what's the chances of
>getting every nation of the EU to move, other than minor evolutionary
>movements with full backward compatibiilty, for some time to come?

WCDMA is hardly a minor evolutionary movement.  GSM is essentially switching
from a 300KHz or so TDMA to a 5MHz CDMA (as I said, it looks very much like the
EVDO's you see deployed around here).  Every nation in the EU, and for that
part, most every other nation on the planet that adopted GSM will move.  They
enjoy the benefits of price that only come from the power of volume
manufacturing far beyond any non-standard US specific technology.

>Ahh, but you see chaos and disorder.  I see opportunity knocking and
>excitement.

Yes, very exciting indeed.  I worked for a US manufacturer that slid from #1 in
world sales down to perhaps #3 in handsets (and off the chart in infastructure)
in that very market.  All the dominant world manufacturers in cellular today
are foreign and riding the GSM world standard.  We all know the US has
completely lost numerous high technology markets forever.  We lost computer
memories, automobiles, TVs, VCRs, and cellular (among many others).  Behind
each lost market is a unique story.  In the case of cellular, the fragmentation
of the US standards for cellular technology is a direct cause of losing an
entire US market.  We can all thank the FCC, and a pair of US manufacturers for
that.

>We HAD a standard, a nice, comfy, understood, universal standard for phone
>service... copper.  A user-friendly monopoly phone company that had nice
>operators and everyone's phone worked like everyone else's.

And then the justice department stepped in (circa 1975).  Then there were 3
distinct long distance carriers building essentially completely redunant
competing networks, where each could (by the law of averages) reap only a third
of the customer base of  single unified network.  Long before wireless, the
United States quickly slipped from #1 to behind all other advanced countries
which maintained a unified PTT (Postal Telephone & Telegraph ... typically
government operated in most countries).  Again, we quickly slipped from
leadership to almost last place among advanced countries in ISDN and other
advanced services ... back when ISDN would have still been fast compared to
alternatives.  Essentially no single company could be profitable enough in a
fragmented market to keep the US on the front edge.

>It's always interesting...

Hey, I love this ... it's been near and dear to my heart through about 30 yrs
in the industry (I spent almost 10 yrs of it in standards group participation).
 I don't know how others on the list think of the topic.  If we're boring
others maybe we should continue any follow-up off-line.

cheers,
Rich