Jack & Patrick: thanks for all the info on 3650 status.

This type of response is why I'm on this mailing list.

That March 10, 2005 announcement is near-and-dear to me, since that is what started me on the WISP path. I haven't closely followed the progress on 3650, so when I saw the XR3 info I thought it might be happening soon. Those thoughts were pushed along further when I saw the Part-15 org people selling a "help get licensed on 3650 manual" -- their webpage doesn't indicate to me that it is still experimental.
        http://www.part-15.org/sales/3650manual.asp

Sounds like I should plan testing under my ham license (~3400MHz) rather than clogging up the FCC with a bogus STA application. My interest is propagation thru our Michigan foliage, so I would want to test this summer. But maybe someone could just tell me what to expect - should it be similar to 2.4GHz?

-John  (kd8bqx)

PS - any chance I could convince folks to trim their responses? I read this list in digest mode, 80% of the digest is noise. :-)

The Ubiquitu XR3 spec sheet is misleading. As far as I know, there is no
current legal license-free 3650 operation allowed, as Ubiquity states.
Operation on 3650 can only take place when a Special Temporary
Authorization aplication has been submitted to the FCC and an STA
approval received back from the FCC. In general, STAs in the
Experimental Radio Service are issued to allow on-air testing of
equipment or new technology that can only be tested "on-the-air". Please
see my previous post which outlines the conditions under which an STA
may be granted.