Plus dealing with less than 10 who will fill out forms and abide by the rules without a fuss.
The FCC has the CEO's of the cellco's on speed-dial.

from Alex @ ISP-Planet:
http://www.isp-planet.com/politics/2003/uncertainty_p2.html

Here's a quote from a Powell speech:

(competition is bad because)

One of the things we are going to have to get really used to is once upon a
time the world was really simple. We knew who all the companies were. We
knew all the CEOs by name.

I think what we are going to have to get used to is that there is never
again going to be the ability to be very simplistic about a country this
large and diverse and about whether the country is competitive, is this
market segment this or is that market segment that. I think it's going to be
much more dynamic and chaotic. It will be difficult to make broad
generalizations about the entire space.

Travis Johnson wrote:

John,

This is just my opinion, but I seriously doubt the FCC is just going to "give" away 700MHz licenses, even on a per base station basis. And the WISP community is not going to spend even $5,000 per license if they could. The cell companies will be bidding, and once again it will be in the millions of dollars per region.

Honestly, what would you do if you were the FCC? Deal with hundreds or thousands of little operators at $5,000 per license, or sell 3 or 4 licenses for the entire US for millions of dollars?

Travis
Microserv