----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Koskenmaki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 700 MHz decision at FCC

Justin... I am aware of the problems revolving around the inability to talk
to each other via voice radio.   I would tend to agree that frequency
coordination seems to be a terrible issue.   The cited "reasons" for this
was the 9-11 problems with coordination of emergency services, and NO
hurricane problems. Nobody blew up the NO radio communications facilities. They just died because they lacked any means of self support when the power went out, and the phone and the agencies weren't talking to each other, and
didn't seem to know who to talk to for what.    That's just the outside
perception, at least.

Your outside perceptions are completely wrong.

But as far as I can tell,  this isn't about talking to each other, it's
about building a digital network - IP based, perhaps?

If you're not sure what the broadband network is for, how could you have already called the plan absurd?

I'm still confused as to why we can't have fire department radios that can
talk to the cops, ambulances, and whoever else. A lack of spectrum doesn't seem to be issue, rather it appears to be political boundaries between each
department, and no mechanism to deal with widespread communications
problems.

Completely wrong.

Cyren Call wanted 30 mhz to build a nationwide network.    I'm just not
cognizant of how this is going to somehow magically solve the problem with
agencies having turf wars, and people either not following, or not haveing a
rational plan for dealing with widespread disasters.

I'm welcome to explanations of how things are going to improve with a
national digital network that's subject to all the same issues as telco
outages, broadband outages, etc, etc... ???

I wouldn't begin to know where to start to explain it to you. I don't believe you have any notion whatsoever of what the issues and challenges are of public safety communications that are being addressed. If you wanted to learn, you could start with the PSWAC report ... it's public and on-line. But what amazed me is how you conclude with no knowledge that the public safety broadband communications plans are absurd and can't possibly work. Why would you jump out and slam a field that you know nothing about? Yet you wonder where people get the notion from that you're anti-gov. Why not just say "excuse me" on that one and we'll move on.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Comroe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>