Sam Tetherow wrote:

Hmm, I'll take that bet. People that make these types of claims obviously haven't been in areas where you can go for more than 40 miles with no cell service, on a major highway, not to mention getting off the beaten path to individuals homes. Some times it really is more economical to string copper than put up towers.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

Naw. It is almost never cheaper to string copper than to put up towers. It is just that existing copper is cheaper than any alternative.

In the panhandle of Oklahoma my grandfather ran five miles of copper on poles ten feet off the ground to get to his home. That copper was in place till 1960 when the ILEC's decided they could make a profit by replacing it.

That economy is still in play.

-m-