Last month, Tom Evslin, the co-founder of Internet service provider AT&T Worldnet and voice-over-IP wholesaler ITXC, created quite a stir by making the bold prediction that the twisted copper pair to the home won't exist in 2013.

"By 2012 [there will be] no more reason to use our landlines--so we won't," Evslin wrote in his blog. "I don't think the copper plant will last past 2012. The problem is the cost of maintaining and operating it when it has very few subscribers. Obviously [it's] a huge problem for AT&T and Verizon. And an important social issue as well."

Those comments provoked quite a reaction from readers, most of which were along the lines of, "Wha-huh?" Most people were eager to bet against Evslin's prediction.

At the same time, his words echoed in my mind as I read recent complaints from the Communications Workers of America and the West Virginia Public Service Commission that Verizon Communications is neglecting its copper plant as it focuses on fiber-to-the-home deployment. The CWA told Virginia regulators that Verizon is foregoing preventative maintenance on much of the state's copper lines and ordering "Band-Aid repairs" for major problems. Verizon refutes that charge that copper has, in essence, become its redheaded stepchild. But those complaints highlight the way that copper becomes increasingly onerous for Verizon as its fiber network grows. Copper lines will require more care than passive optical networks and yield less revenue. In some cases, it might behoove Verizon for that copper to fail sooner rather than later to accelerate fiber migration. So I can't help but wonder if Verizon would bet against Evslin. Or on him.