Thanks for all the comments....

I'm surprised that none of the Wi-Hype...(opps! :) ), I mean Wi-Max people have not jumped in here....

The 1Mbit speed requirement is a killer. I could likely convince them that 128Kbit/512Kbit would be fine for what they are doing.

I'm leaning toward something that is licensed to allow more power to penetrate the trees.

Start-up costs are not really an issue here.

Another note....  The base stations will all be at least 200ft AGL.

Blair Davis wrote:
This is an invitation to Vendors to contact me if they have equipment that could meet my needs...

I have been contacted by government unit that wishes to deploy a mobile, high speed data network in their vehicles.

The area of operation is tree infested. The mobile units will never be more than 7 miles from a tower with a base station. LoS is NOT assured from the mobile unit to the base. The mobile units must switch base stations as needed with no user intervention.

Use of 2.4GHz band is not acceptable.

Min data rates are 256Kbit up by 1Mbit down.

I'm open to any technology that will work and to any vendor. Licensed or unlicensed gear would be acceptable.

Contact me by e-mail or my cell below. Calling late is fine. I'm up late anyway!

--
Blair Davis
West Michigan Wireless ISP

Cell 269-650-5749