>Its important to remember... There are two relevent prices to
consider....
>Entry Cost and Full Speed Cost.

Sure, let's compare apples to apples, to start:

OVERALL THROUGHPUT

1. The TrangoLINK Giga requires 56 MHz of spectrum to get 311 Mb of FD
throughput...the FCC doesn't allow someone to license a 56 MHz channel,
so to run at this date rate, you would have to license 2 adjacent
channels (2x the license cost, and at ~ $3500 / link, it's nothing to
sneeze at)

2. From an entry point perspective, if you only license 1 channel to
start (e.g., aren't using the data throughput), there's no way to
"reserve" that adjacent channel...you have to hope / pray that in the
time period that you "scale" that no one licenses your neighboring
channel

3. Under Part 101, it is technically illegal to just "squat" on the
frequency by grabbing that extra channel...you have to use it or you
lose it

4. That said, if we're only going to use a single channel, the "Full
Speed" upgrade point of the TrangoLINK Giga is 240 Mb FD, NOT 300 Mb

5. From a comparison perspective, Horizon has a max capacity of 350 Mbps
FD on a single FCC channel (so it's 350 vs 240)

RF PERFORMANCE

6. From a raw performance perspective, TrangoLINK Giga requires 256 QAM
modulation to get 240 Mb FD...Horizon does 270 Mb FD with 128 QAM; the
difference in receive sensitivity between 128 QAM to 256 QAM can be
anywhere from 5-10 dB

7. High Power -- not sure about the specs of the TrangoLINK Giga, but
having a High Power variant gives Horizon an extra 7 dB worth of output
power...depending on the frequency, that can be almost 2' worth of
antenna

RELIABILITY

8. Like it or not, the probability of issues in a first revision of any
hardware manufacturer's product is extremely high...Dragonwave has been
producing licensed point-to-point radios for over 5 years and is on the
3rd generation of its hardware platform...

9. Trango's past 2 first "revisions" of hardware almost inevitably
fails...look at their last several "new" products (I'm talking
reengineered...HD Mesh is just Atlas + Mikrotik + glue, 2.4 GHz was
based upon 900)...Atlas, 900 MHz...to me, it seems like it usually takes
them about 1 year to get something to work properly...maybe 3rd time is
the charm?

That said...it's one thing to be "first" when it's only $1-2k, but $10k+
makes it a bit more painful when you've got to wait 6+ months for them
to get it to work right

ROADMAP

10. Dragonwave is a company that is focused exclusively and is committed
to backhaul; it also has a product roadmaps for AirPair that allow for
future upgradability (AirPair has a roadmap that will get it to 1 GB+ in
the future)

11. Trango builds a product and a market, and then "moves on"

Some food for thought

-Charles

Operating Manager
CTI <- WISPA Paid Vendor Member & Dragonwave Distributor

WiNOG Wireless Roadshows
Coming to a City Near You
http://www.winog.com