Ryan Langseth wrote:
> We recently deployed a link close to a Air Force Base.  The link is a
> 5GHz (802.11a),  while it  supports DFS, I would like to avoid having
> the link going to sleep for obvious reasons,  from what I have read
> the 5.8 range does not need to support DFS, is this correct, or does
> the whole unlicensed 5GHz range need to support it?  What is the
> freq. range that does not need to avoid RADAR?

How close is "close to an Air Force base"? I've always been kinda
curious as to just how big the scope of the DFS stuff is. I'm about
fifty miles from one, and while I'm not presently using any gear that
would require DFS, I can't help but wonder how much (if any) impact
there would be if ever I did move into those middle bands.

Anyway, if you're in the 5.8GHz range, you should be okay. DFS is
required for the "lower" stuff: 5150-5350 and 5470-5725. The unlicensed
5.8GHz band should be exempt from this.

David Smith
MVN.net