On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 11:16 -0500, David E. Smith wrote:
> Ryan Langseth wrote:
> > We recently deployed a link close to a Air Force Base.  The link is a
> > 5GHz (802.11a),  while it  supports DFS, I would like to avoid having
> > the link going to sleep for obvious reasons,  from what I have read
> > the 5.8 range does not need to support DFS, is this correct, or does
> > the whole unlicensed 5GHz range need to support it?  What is the
> > freq. range that does not need to avoid RADAR?
>
> How close is "close to an Air Force base"? I've always been kinda
> curious as to just how big the scope of the DFS stuff is. I'm about
> fifty miles from one, and while I'm not presently using any gear that
> would require DFS, I can't help but wonder how much (if any) impact
> there would be if ever I did move into those middle bands.

The link runs east and west, and is about 6 miles. The east endpoint is
1.3 miles directly south of their radar domes according to google
earth.

I have seen a few events on the link,  and It did go down once,
although I was not able to verify the radar events were the reason.

Here are the events on the east endpoint so far
Channel RADAR Events    Time Since Last Event   Current Status
124     2               1.49 days               Available
120     1               1.50 days               Available
116     1               1.51 days               Available

I have not seen any on the west endpoint yet.

> Anyway, if you're in the 5.8GHz range, you should be okay. DFS is
> required for the "lower" stuff: 5150-5350 and 5470-5725. The unlicensed
> 5.8GHz band should be exempt from this.

Good, I have moved the link to  5.825 GHz already, so hopefully this
will fix the problem.

Ryan