Steve,

I see your reply comments to translate to a reason for support of unlicensed use of the spectrum.

Which is better... To establish policy that creates the best odds that ...
1) Spectrum will be used.
2) Spectrum will be used most efficiently, when it is used.
3) Spectrum will without compromise work for a purpose that it was purchased for. 4) Generates the most revenue, assumming, if someone will pay more, it must have a grander need being solved, or at minimum an incentive to deploy to get an ROI, and the finance to deploy if they can afford to win an auction.

I think many advocates push for solving issue 2, 3, and/or 4, and therefore push for Licensed, most often to the highest bidder.

But the truth is, history shows, that that mentality does not always lead to deployment of spectrum, nor best serving the public. I think where the problem lies is people try to corolate the value of spectrum to a business case, meaning the value of the service judged by what people will pay for it. This is so not true. A perfect example are RUS commiunity grants, where the governement justifies millions to be spent to serve under 500 people, after considering all the econonmic development needs solved by these grants and side effects of these grants. Another example might be, serving the poor or the meduically handicapped, which may need the service, but not be able to pay for it.

I'd argue, that its better for something to be used, and guarantee that that benefit will occur, even if it trades away the ability to utilize the spectrum optimally.

The one case study that is undisputable is that, Spectrum allocated to unlicenced, will get used, because there is no barrier to entry in order to use it. The cost justification goes away. It just gets used, until there is nothing left of it to be used because interference prevents it. Whats best is that this idea has been replicated 100% of the time in all case studies. Starting out in 2.4Ghz, 5 years later in many places the noise floor is to high for uts use, then 5.8Ghz comes, now saturated 5 years alter also, now 5.3G is on its way, etc, etc.

As much as I dream of Licensed 700 for WISPs, the reality of that is slim, and its hard to support the licensed of it, on an auction basis. An Auction basis, just reduces the chances that the spectrum will get used by the most amount of people in the most amounts of usages. Its almost to the point where I see no other option but to support exclusively Unlicensed use of 700Mhz. But then....

Efforts like, Scrivner's/WISPA's, that are fighting for auction rules that give WISPs an actual real chance to get a peice of 700Mhz licensed Spectrum, come along with clever ideas to give small WISPs a competitive advantage to possible be able to win spectrum. The possibility that there are actually 7-10 WISPs (that have joined the 700M committee), that are not telcos, that think the might have the possibilty to win an auction in their rural area, is a start to that dream becoming a reality. It is unquestionable, that if WISPs win rights to unlicenced spectrum, they will deploy and use the spectrum, it is inevitable.

More rules and policy need to be made that spreads out the spectrum netween more people to enhance the chances spectrum will be used, and the closer (layers deep) the spectrum comes to be reachable by the common man, the larger number of potential users there are, thus raising the chance it will be used. A WISP is the closest layer to the general public, but that is not the general public, and has expertise to utilize the spectrum wisely. I'd argue that finding ways to let WISPs win licensed is just about as good as unlicenced use.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Stroh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>