Sheesh 2.4 for utility metering?

Felix A. Lopez wrote:
Ralph, To answer your question regarding what part of
"workforce" is using the 4.9 GHz.   The short answer
is the "city first responders workforce" will be the
primary user of the 4.9 GHz portion of the Mesh
networking.  The 2.4 GHz will be used for "utility
services" such as metering/monitoring.  The electric
meters have a "WiFi chipset" inside the utility meter
(802.11g flavor).

The longer answer is that some cities also have
electric utilities (municipalities).  The CIO thus
asked his Communications Director to file for the
4.9GHZ FCC license for the 4.9 GHz portion needed.
The "radio" we used was by the major manufacturer and
actually is 4 radios in one box.  (2) 2.4 GHz radios +
(2) 4.9 GHz radios (Mesh).  We connected the mesh
radios to a 900 MHz radio and backhauled it to the
City corporation yard on 5.7 GHz if I recall (or it
could have been all 900 MHz, I need to check my notes)
We used the 900  MHz because the of the amount of
trees in the area. And the backhaul was only about 2
miles from our system.  We backhauled to the fiber POP
at the Corporation yard.  All the backend network
equipment was Cisco so we very closely with the
client's Cisco architect (network manager). He set up
all this outside his "firewall" and indigenous city
system.

Sorry for not answering you earlier.

Felix Lopez
Utilities and Wireless Practitioneer

--- Ralph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is very interesting and makes me curious,
Felix.
Which part of the "workforce" is using the 4.9? What
"city services"? This
implies something else than Public Safety because
you said city services AND
public safety.

Ralph
WISPA full member