George: Well...it is a pilot project. :) But one of
the 2.4 GHz radios uses the MEA (Mesh Enabeled
Architecture) and the other 2. 4Ghz radio uses the
normal 802.11.  The same for the 4.9 GHz. See weblink.

http://mrtmag.com/mag/radio_motomesh_not_public/index.html

The real  issue is many utilities and munis are
seeking ways of automating their utilities into a
"smart grid" and wireless is part of the strategy.

Let's say you are owner of a muni and you've just
installed a "muni wifi".  They city manager
immediately thinks of ways to "leverage" the "WiFI"
system (802.11 whatever) in 2.4 GHz or other.

Granted there exist the usual interference challenges
with teh 2.4 GHz and all of the other access points
and such in homes etc.   Some are incorporating near
field "zigbee" into utility meters and then meshing
those zigbee enabled meters onto a mesh
system/collector then backhauling that to fiber POP.

Felix A. Lopez
Utilities and wireless practitioneer

--- George Rogato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sheesh 2.4 for utility metering?
>

> Felix A. Lopez wrote:
> > Ralph, To answer your question regarding what part
> of
> > "workforce" is using the 4.9 GHz.   The short
> answer
> > is the "city first responders workforce" will be
> the
> > primary user of the 4.9 GHz portion of the Mesh
> > networking.  The 2.4 GHz will be used for "utility
> > services" such as metering/monitoring.  The
> electric
> > meters have a "WiFi chipset" inside the utility
> meter
> > (802.11g flavor).
> >
> > The longer answer is that some cities also have
> > electric utilities (municipalities).  The CIO thus
> > asked his Communications Director to file for the
> > 4.9GHZ FCC license for the 4.9 GHz portion needed.
>

> > The "radio" we used was by the major manufacturer
> and
> > actually is 4 radios in one box.  (2) 2.4 GHz
> radios +
> > (2) 4.9 GHz radios (Mesh).  We connected the mesh
> > radios to a 900 MHz radio and backhauled it to the
> > City corporation yard on 5.7 GHz if I recall (or
> it
> > could have been all 900 MHz, I need to check my
> notes)
> > We used the 900  MHz because the of the amount of
> > trees in the area. And the backhaul was only about
> 2
> > miles from our system.  We backhauled to the fiber
> POP
> > at the Corporation yard.  All the backend network
> > equipment was Cisco so we very closely with the
> > client's Cisco architect (network manager). He set
> up
> > all this outside his "firewall" and indigenous
> city
> > system.
> >
> > Sorry for not answering you earlier.
> >
> > Felix Lopez
> > Utilities and Wireless Practitioneer
> >

> > --- Ralph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> This is very interesting and makes me curious,
> >> Felix.
> >> Which part of the "workforce" is using the 4.9?
> What
> >> "city services"? This
> >> implies something else than Public Safety because
> >> you said city services AND
> >> public safety.
> >>
> >> Ralph
> >> WISPA full member

Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car
Finder tool.
http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/