Clint Ricker wrote:
I'll duck after this post, but I by and large tend to agree with the basis of the article. Scottie, exactly what regulation would you recommend?
STRUCTURAL SEPARATION like BT is experiencing in the UK, which would never happen here.

What has regulation solved in the past 11 years? By and large, I've not seen a single bit of FCC regulation that has had a net positive impact for getting access to the consumer, especially post 2000 (it was probably a good force behind making dialup Internet access widely available and affordable).
It was not FCC regulation; it was the TA96 that was tattered and torn by lobbying and litigating.
The FCC SHOULD have advanced its policy and then set to forcing it.
Instead it went to bed with 2 of the industries it is supposed to regulate (media & telco).

The FCC could easily have forced CLEC's to build out at the same time it forced the ILEC's to unbundle.

Let me extrapolate this for you:

In the NFL cities you would have endless construction as fiber is laid to all the MTU's.
But in all other markets, not so much competition.
And then you would have VZ selling off its rural ... oh, wait, they do that now because they don't want to invest the money. They make a good rate of return (as attested to by their increasing profits -- not revenues). They get USF and other funding to provide service in rural areas, but do not want to live up to the promises that they made back in 1997-1999.

Do you think I care about the 15th or 21st or whatever study number? No.

All I care about is the divide between us and and the rest of the world.
Whether you admit it or not, economically broadband is a utility. It is the utility for home-based workers, entrepreneurs, the Creative Class, and innovation. As more and more people get PC access and get online, more and more ideas, projects, and innovation happens. I want that to happen in the US. Not in India. Not in China or Korea, but here in America.

We have a shortage of doctors in America. A shortage of teachers.
Some of this can be solved via broadband like tele-medicine and distance learning.

Forced wholesale access of the physical layer / network layer does absolutely nothing to increase availability and, in fact, actually hurts availabilty.
You are incorrect there. The plant company would need to keep building out to increase revenue.
The Application side would want that as well.

The ISP / CLEC that is basically reselling ILEC copper is not connecting anyone who wouldn't / couldn't have been connected via the ILEC. However, because the ILEC is less profitable due to forced reselling, then they can't buildout as much infrastructure (theoretically).
Sure it is. CLEC's and ISP's are always stealing clients from each other and ILEC's. Sometimes they steal them from cable. But more than just the red ocean is the blue ocean when a new idea like Metro E over copper or VDSL or HPNA or BPL comes along and stretches the use of the copper and brings consumers new apps and new access. (Covad is rolling out 15MB DSL - are any ILECs? NO).

The fact of the matter is that the US is doing pretty damn well at broadband deployment, and, corruption aside, most of the current administration's policies have been fairly benificial towards making broadband more widely available (with some very major exceptions).
I actually don't think that more DSLAM's are being deployed. I see how often a business comes up as Unqualified, even when DSL is available in that area. That's due to CAPEX being spent to over-build DSL penetrated areas with fiber.

That's not a helpful strategy.

Qwest is no longer the ILEC in Omaha. That's the first MSA. VZ has asked for forbearance in 6 MSA's, due in 80 days.

In 80 days, you won't be able to buy access from VZ unless they want to sell it to you. Why? The stats say cable has beat them out. And I think it is almost on purpose, so the ILEC can get out from under regulation and do what it wants.

Do you think that the CLECs are actually hurting the ILECs? Or the ISP's?

ISP's have less than 1% of the DSL in the US. FISPA members at one time had 3% of the BellSouth market in 2001. CLEC's in their hey day had a whopping 15% of the market (2001 I think). Not any more.

The largest CLEC has less than 100,000 customers. And even with the Super CLEC's - all 3 of them - approaching $1B in revenue, their debt is 3/4 of that number and they pay more than 50% of revenue to the ILEC. How does that hurt the ILEC? They make money from CLEC's. They don't make a dime from cable.

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies

- Peter @ RAD-INFO, Inc.
Would you like to see your advertisement here?  Let the WISPA Board know your
feelings about allowing advertisements on the free WISPA lists.  The current
Board is taking this under consideration at this time.  We want to know your
thoughts.